What is it?
Storyteling Engine is a native, easy to edit, base Android application for creating character driven kinetic novels.
The application adapts to the script in the JSON file where you can easily define characters, scenes and used sound effects. Other changes can be made by editing selected configuration files and images in the resources and assets directories. The entire application is open source and can be adapted to suite your project.
The available demo application shows all current capabilities of the "engine" - it is an example of what it can be used for and a helpful starting point for editing.
- Native Android applicaton written in Kotlin using best mobile development practices
- Entierly driven by the JSON defined script
- Automatic character, background and text animations
- Character speach bubbles for dialog driven stories
- Full screen narration messages
- Scene background music, leave, enter and message sound effects
- Robust, easy to configure About section
- Automatic saves and chapters unlocking
- Chapter selection and rewind menu
- Music and sound effects volumes settings
- Text size and screen reader accessibility options
- Final credits roll
To create your own game based on this application you will need the Android development environment and some basic programming skills.
For adaptation, just edit the JSON scenario, images and sounds in the assets and resources directories, and several configuration files associated with the structure of the Android application. Then use Android Studio rename feature to change package name and remove any mentions of my name, developer name and contact information.
The application is written in Kotlin and uses the MVVM architecture pattern. Further editing is easy by modifying the layout XML files and the corresponding view models.More information on JSON structure, important files and editing is available in the repository README file.